07 December 2005

Pakistan Day 12

Today was the 2nd last village trip and day 12 of my trip to Pakistan.
To be honest, I'm quite homesick and missing Char Kuay Teow, Bak Kut Teh and Hokkien Mee. Even a bowl of maggi mee would be fantastic right now. One more Naan and I'm going to crack up. Ok.. just some griping.

We were at Sharka Bala village today, again nearby Battal. I saw another 70+ patients and did quite a bit of deworming.


I've been reflecting on lessons learnt on this trip.

One thing that's helped much was learning the language. We got ourselves 'The Rough Guide to Hindi and Urdu' and learnt some key phrases on the flight here. Even with translators, when we ask the questions ourselves, it brings you a lot closer to the people.

I've learnt to say:

'Salam' - Hello
'Kya Hal He' - How do you do?
'Kya Taklife?' - What is your problem?
'Umer?' - Age?
'Dard?' (pointing to part of body) - Pain?
'Pani?' (pointing) - Discharge?
'Shukriya' - Thank you
'Kudhan apko berkat de' - God bless you

The most hilarious thing happened on our 2nd trip out. I started asking the patient questions in Urdu, and my translator, by reflex, translated into English for me! I asked, 'Umer?' and he asked the patient, 'How old are you?' I burst out laughing and almost fell off my chair. Today, I could almost go on seeing patients without my translator. Funniest thing was I started writing my notes in Urdu! I wrote for one patient - c/o - cough, nazlak, bukhare...... oops

Our 8-seater vehicle has been dubbed 'Chariot of God'. If you've seen the terrain here you'll understand. Our van has to climb slopes and terraces you would never have believed could be negotiated by any 4 wheeled vehicle. Two men will run out ahead of the vehicle, throwing off rocks and signaling to the driver to avoid holes, while two others hang on to the back of the vehicle to balance the weight and lay rocks behind the wheel whenever it gets stuck. This is a mountain cross-country in extremis.

We've met many lovely and friendly people here. People on the street will stare at us suspiciously until we smile or say 'Salam' to them. Invariably smiles break out and people will shake our hands and hug us in receptivity. They are thrilled that we have come from Malaysia. I have received many gifts from sundry store keepers - matches, razor blades - refusing to be paid. Chay (milk-tea) is standard hospitality and is hard to refuse. The people feel very rejected when you say no, I've eaten.

Children here are absolutely adorable, green-eyed, red-cheeks, and bubbling with excitement. The third village we visited had been entered before by another medical team. Which was followed by tent distribution work, and subsequently children's ministry. So when we were there, we were pleasantly surprised when the kids ran out with our van and started singing Sunday School songs... something about "Jonah, Jonah, in the belly of the fish..."

God has been absoulutely faithful in opening the way for us to enter villages, taking care of our travels and vehicle, and our health and well-being throughout. Thank you again for your prayers and I look forward to come home and talking to you with the photos on my cam.

Back to Log Index

No comments: