06 October 2007

In the cool of the evening

I quit my Saturday afternoon locum job. I decided that the extra cash wasn't worth it. I've been telling myself I wanted to stop for months, worn out every Saturday evening and having hardly anything for a weekend. TODAY, today, I celebrate my first Saturday OFF. And what a Saturday.

I came home and heroically took over the care of Ethan. To reward his amazingly sacrificial father, he decided to clam his mouth shut, tighter than prison cell bars whenever I tried to feed him. He wouldn't sleep, and he wouldn't be put down. It was an afternoon of all out war. By the time I was done with him, the dining floor was splattered with broth and milk all over. Tiring, but helluva fun.

After a good bath and diaper change, I took him out for a walk. The air was biting and cool, a slow breeze tossed the trees around, birds were
 chirping, squirrels were scurrying to get out of the way. It was a perfect evening for a walk, father and son. Saturdays were made for this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, so proud of you. it is not that your son needs you more, but you need him more..just to be around, be his daddy..because, those moments too shall pass and what are you going to do with all those money? you cannot buy those moments..and there will be a time you will wish to have just one more day with them... my kids have left the nest and i am all alone again, with memories of those moments, precious few moments...

Yoke-Yeow Yap said...

Yes, yes! Thanks for confirming that. He is a blast to be with and I wouldn't exchange anything for the time I get to spend with him. No matter how tiring... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, great to see you taking this step. Both Ethan and you will have a whale of a time and you won't regret this.
Btw, I've linked you in my blog cos you write well and it'll be good for the youth to read some sound words of wisdom!!! :)
Veronica
www.uncleallan.wordpress.com