05 June 2005

He is here

The 14th chapter of John's gospel has been the subject of great debate and great comfort to Christians for centuries.

Today it brings home basic realities for me.

He (the Spirit of God) is called the Counselor by Jesus - who sends Him in His place. He comes alongside us, to strengthen, to illumine and even to defend or convict us. He doesn't, as one might project from 20th century linguistics psychoanalyse us or give career guidance. In short He does in our hearts all that God - Father & Son - does, effecting their Presence in our lives.

Such knowledge is beyond reason, but immensely comforting. I am never alone. I always have a companion and a guide. Someone to walk the journey with.

A nurse said to me today: 'Dr. Yap memang suka jalan.' I walk a lot and I can walk for miles without realising I've covered half the city. The greater the distance, the better. Walking just gives me the feeling of journeying - how getting there isn't as important as the adventure. And you have to have good company - so if you don't like yourself very much and God isn't there with you, walking can be pretty lonely.

Yet, more than that, it also means I needn't flounder in search for direction and truth. Of course, one has to wander, search, even grope for light sometimes - but the Way is never far from us. Truth and a sense of where our lives ought to go is there as the Spirit is.

Knowing that is enough to keep me crying out in times of darkness and plodding on in times of lostness.

He is HERE as much as I am lost. And He is STRENGTH as much as I am helpless.

No comments: