06 August 2008

The Learning Attitude

In all areas of my vocation (medical research, teaching and patient care) and ministry (theological learning, teaching from the Bible and shepherding) I try to factor in a source of learning to uphold the giving.

That ensures that I am not only keeping a good input-output balance, but that I'm constantly growing and developing. A leader has to lead himself well, and a teacher must first be a learner. Undergoing the riguers of learning myself makes me empathise with my students and puts me in a unique position to walk with them as equals.

I was thumbing this book: 'Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgement' by Rosalinda Alfaro-LeFevre and found a list of 'Intellectual Traits' according to Paul & Elder (2001). Among them, these three struck me as truly essential:

Intellectual Humility

Intellectual Courage

Intellectual Integrity

Paul & Elder defines intellectual humility as 'consciousness of limits of your knowledge; willingness to admit what you don't know.'. Intellectual courage is 'awareness of the need to face and fairly address ideas, beliefs, or viewpoints to which you haven't given serious hearing.' Intellectual integrity is 'being true to your own thinking; applying intellectual standards to thinking; holding yourself to the same standards you hold others; willingness to admit when your thinking may be flawed.'

Put simply, admit your ignorance, be open to contrarian views, and practice what you preach! How often have I tried to fudge an answer or asked a student to 'go home and do your homework' when I wasn't sure myself? How often do I fail to perform a complete examination when I tell my students they're not allowed to take shortcuts! How often do I teach from a text in the Bible and interpret it according to my pet theologies without looking deeper into authorial intent, historical context, canonical and christological significance? Intellectual humility, courage and integrity are not signs of weakness, they are signs of a person who seeks truth above all else and most of all of himself.

No comments: